What is actual wxPython niche and future directions?

There are certain wxPython features, which I like, which is why I am investing my time in learning it. Existing open-source actively developed real projects form an important learning resource. Such projects also justify the ongoing existence of the framework and its development. It turns out it is pretty difficult to find such resources. wxPythonPit Apps used to act as central place for such projects. Now, it is pretty much a cemetery. This situation is quite discouraging actually, and I was wondering if core developers could comment on this matter (I am interested in both present situation and longer term vision/strategy, perhaps some roadmap points).

wxPython wraps wxWidgets, so perhaps you should be looking at the wxWidgets developers’ outlook. wxPython doesn’t necessarily need to have a roadmap beyond following where wxWidgets goes.

Do you really learn like that? I rarely feel the urge to dive into someone else’s code except when there’s something I want to change.

wxPython could use a more prominent profile though. I think the lack of visibility in prominent projects is mostly due to the move to web apps, not through any failing of wxPython. I’m not aware of any other cross-platform native controls GUI library that comes even close to matching wxPython/wxWidgets.

1 Like

Absolutely. This is definitely one of the powerful approaches. The whole idea behind the wxPython demo suite (apart from actual demonstration) is basically find what you need visually, then see the implementation and adapt the code. I do not mean to simply copy & paste. But starting from a working snippet and then gradually transforming while preserving its working state is often a very efficient approach, particularly relatively early in the learning process. Once you accumulate your own base and experience, third-party code becomes less important.

Now, while the demo suite is a major attraction point for exactly these reasons (above), developing a real application is a whole different story. The demo suite does not help here at all, and I have not seen any relevant materials on the wxPython website. Probably the best approach here is to study the structure/approaches/patterns used by real projects. And such projects must be, of course, relatively recent. I did manage to find several such projects, but it is quite difficult.

Personally, I agree that working code samples are like gold dust, compared to dry dusty API descriptions, when it comes to rapidly getting to grips with something new.

Having used wxPython for some 7 years, it came as something of a surprise to discover there was such a thing as wxPythonPit Apps [wxPythonPit Apps - wxPyWiki]
So I assume, if I missed it, many must be in the same boat.
Perhaps it would benefit from some promotion.

Having said that, it appears that logins for this site (discuss.wxpython), don’t work for [wxPythonPit Apps - wxPyWiki] and if one attempts to create a login, it fails or at least it did for me, more than once.
I thought I’d add some of my projects but I’ve fallen at the first hurdle.

Clearly if that corner of the website is to thrive, it needs a little attention.
Regards,
Rolf

2 Likes

I am an (extremely minor) contributor to wxPython and wxWidgets. I cannot give sample source code, but I can point to two companies that use wxPython in their production software: https://cytopar.com and https://meticy.com. You can see some screen shots in the videos linked in them. (Disclaimer: I am the CEO of both companies)

3 Likes

@PChemGuy There is also the wxPython Screenshots | wxPython page with real applications. There you can see the RIDE, an IDE for Robotframework.org test files. I am the maintainer of this project, which was professionally created, using the MVC programming model.

If you want to help, you are most welcome. But this project is very complex and not the best wxPython entry level.

2 Likes

as long as python growths wxpython will grow too :joy: