SetSize doesn't

I’m using WxPython 4.0.6, Python 3.7 on Win-10.

I have many apps that save their frame’s size and position upon exit, and restore it upon startup – so the user’s location/size preference is preserved across invocations. For one app, however, it does not work at all, and SetSize does nothing. (SetClientSize doesn’t either.) Absolutely no matter what I do, the resulting size is 400, 250 and the position is always the same.

What is going on?  Or, how can I figure this out?

Many thx in advance for any help.

show SetSize doing nothing.JPG

Is the MainLoop running yet? What’s in the frame and how was it constructed? What else has or hasn’t happened before the interactive code you showed?

···

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 3:01:45 PM UTC-7, Bob Swithers wrote:

I have many apps that save their frame’s size and position upon exit, and restore it upon startup – so the user’s location/size preference is preserved across invocations. For one app, however, it does not work at all, and SetSize does nothing. (SetClientSize doesn’t either.) Absolutely no matter what I do, the resulting size is 400, 250 and the position is always the same.

Robin

Robin,

Many thx for your reply and interest.

No, the MainLoop is not yet running in the interactive code I showed. However, I can breakpoint the program at any time after the MainLoop is running and get the same interactive session.

The program is constructed with wxFormBuilder 3.9.0, as are my other apps. I’ve attached a number of files, one or more of the .jpg files might help you get the sense for how the Frame is constructed, as you asked. (I hones

1. ‘Inital display, undersized.jpg’ – the way the Frame looks after .Show(), regardless what I do with SetSize

2. ‘Inital display, manually up-sized.jpg’ – shows the entire frame after I’ve manually resized it (i.e., dragged the sizer corner).

3. ‘final display, after program actions.jpg’ – shows the frame after the prog has done some work and populated some fields.

4. ‘wxformbuilder snapshot.jpg’ – a snapshot of the frame construction in wxFormBuilder.

5. ‘CCoS DB HistoryKeeper.fbp’ – the entire wxFormBuilder file

6. ‘viewGUIBase.py’ – the Python/Wx file generated by wxFormBuilder

Thx again.

Inital display, undersized.JPG

Inital display, manually up-sized.JPG

final display, after program actions.JPG

final display, after program actions.JPG

wxformbuilder snapshot.JPG

CCoS DB HistoryKeeper.fbp (158 KB)

viewGUIBase.py (13.2 KB)

···

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 7:07:04 PM UTC-4, Robin Dunn wrote:

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 3:01:45 PM UTC-7, Bob Swithers wrote:

Is the MainLoop running yet? What’s in the frame and how was it constructed? What else has or hasn’t happened before the interactive code you showed?

Robin

Set the frame’s style to just wx.DEFAULT_FRAME_STYLE. Apparently the wx.TAB_TRAVERSAL style on frames causes the issue on Windows, it probably overlaps with some other frame-specific value or something. All the other styles you have set are already included in the default style value.

···

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 4:43:15 PM UTC-7, Bob Swithers wrote:

Robin,

Many thx for your reply and interest.

No, the MainLoop is not yet running in the interactive code I showed. However, I can breakpoint the program at any time after the MainLoop is running and get the same interactive session.

The program is constructed with wxFormBuilder 3.9.0, as are my other apps. I’ve attached a number of files, one or more of the .jpg files might help you get the sense for how the Frame is constructed, as you asked. (I hones

Robin

Robin,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I had spent hours on that, getting nowhere …

···

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 6:01:45 PM UTC-4, Bob Swithers wrote:

Many thx in advance for any help.

show SetSize doing nothing.JPG