Serious upgrade problem

Windows 10 Home (current with updates)
Dell Inspiron 5759

Today I upgraded my Python installation from 3.8 to 3.10 by downloading and running ‘python-3.10.0-amd64.exe’ from python.org. I did the recommended reboot. When I tried to run a wxPython app I got

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘wx._core’

I keep a cmd file with all my pip install commands so I ran that again. It said that wxpython was already installed. I ran pip uninstall wxpython, then ran pip install wxpython, hoping that it would resolve any problems. Now I can’t even import wx

D:\>python
Python 3.10.0 (tags/v3.10.0:b494f59, Oct  4 2021, 19:00:18) [MSC v.1929 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import wx
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'wx'

I could always restore a system image (I take one every morning) but I would rather find out why this problem exists. As I recall, I had the same problem the last time I tried to upgrade Python and at that time I just restored an image. Any idea why this is happening?

I don’t see a binary for 3.10 here: wxPython · PyPI

So you have to build yourself…

That’s clearly not going to happen. I’m going to restore my image from this morning. I think I’ll just check periodically for the newer version. Thanks.

There’s also an issue with building 4.1.1 with Python 3.10 on Windows:

Perhaps a better question might be… is wxpython even being maintained any longer?

It appears last time the github repository had any activity was on July 20 and 24, before that it was Jan 29

Dev snapshot builds used to be reasonably regular - every few weeks or so - but the last one was on Jan 30, 2021 for wxPython-4.1.2a1 for python 3.9.

Robin seems to have disappeared. His github profile shows almost no activity since January. And the website wxpython news page has had no updates since Nov 11, 2020. News items were fairly regular before that. Anything to explain the delays would be very appreciated
I certainly hope Robin is well and ok, but he’s the driving force behind wxpython and without him I think wxpython would be toast. He doesn’t seem to have any successor and his lack of activity has me very worried as I have a lot of code that depends on wxpython.

Something seems amiss

I’m still here guys, and checking in now and then, I’m just been mostly otherwise occupied. Call it an unexpected sabbatical from wxPython work. Those who have been around for a while will probably remember that I went through this several years ago and I eventually pulled through it and got back to work. When you’ve had the same hobby for 25 years sometimes you just need to focus on other things for a while.

7 Likes

Really glad your OK.
Thanks for the update.

2 Likes