Scroll-wheel map zoom

A while ago I wrote an application that can plot meteorological data on a map background. The application uses geopandas and matplotlib to create the maps inside a wxPython Frame.

Matplotlib provides a toolbar with icons for various functions including zoom. You click the magnifying glass icon and then draw a rubber-band rectangle to select the area to be zoomed. This works fine, but I wondered if I could implement a zoom function that was simply controlled by the mouse scroll wheel, similar to the way many graphical applications such as Google Earth work.

Below is a demo script that I have produced. It has a couple of issues:

1. The script uses set_xlim() and set_ylim() to control the portion of the axes that is displayed which effectively controls the zoom in or out. However, matplotlib appears to limit the size of the axes in the canvas according to the size of the original data, irrespective of the size of the canvas and the frame. This has the effect that when you zoom in, the edges of the map are clipped to that original displayed area. I tried numerous ways to override this effect without much luck. As a workaround I am currently adding a scatter plot consisting of a point (in the background colour) at each corner of the canvas. I think this forces the axes to fill the canvas and it does prevent the zoomed in map from getting clipped, but is a bit of a kludge. Can anyone think of a better way of doing this?

2. The second issue concerns closing the application. When I call the frameā€™s self.Destroy() method, the application just hangs and doesnā€™t exit. I think matplotlib is not shutting down properly. This only seems to happen when plotting data provided by geopandas. Other applications that just use matplotlib in wxPython exit normally. When I run an application that uses geopandas in PyCharmā€™s debugger, it writes ā€œBackend WXAgg is interactive backend. Turning interactive mode on.ā€ to the console after the call to self.Destroy(). None of my attempts to get matplotlib to close gracefully have been successful so far. As a workaround I am calling wx.Exit() after self.Destroy(), but as the wxPython documentation says, this should only be used in an emergency. Does anyone know how to get matplotlib to close cleanly?

DATA
The data I am using for my application and the demo script is in the form of geopackage files. These are actually sqlite3 database files and they can be read directly by geopandas in order to create GeoDataFrame objects that can be plotted by matplotlib. The files can contain multiple layers. Some layers can contain regional and county boundaries, but in most cases the default layer just contains the coastline. You can use multiple geopackage files from adjacent countries to produce a combined map on the same axes. You can then add geo-located spot data values and even wind barbs on top of the map.

I originally downloaded the UK geopackage file from https://gadm.org/download_country.html. After selecting the required country from the drop-down list, you should see a ā€œGeopackageā€ link to the data file. At the time of writing there is an error in the link in that it points to a .zip file whereas the server actually has .gpkg files. Therefore, you currently need to browse for the file in: https://geodata.ucdavis.edu/gadm/gadm4.0/gpkg/

I have sent a message to the site pointing out this issue, but I donā€™t know how long it might take for them to fix it.

Please note the licence conditions for the use of the data files: https://gadm.org/license.html

DEMO
Finally, here is the demo script. As well as binding the scroll-wheel, it has a key-press handler so that pressing the ā€˜rā€™ key will reset the map back to its starting position and zoom level. There is also a resize handler that currently just outputs some diagnostics to the console.

import wx
from matplotlib.backends.backend_wxagg import FigureCanvasWxAgg as FigureCanvas
from matplotlib.figure import Figure
import geopandas as gpd

MIN_ZOOM = 1
MAX_ZOOM = 16
LAND = 'tan'
WATER = '#e8efff'

class MapFrame(wx.Frame):

def __init__(self, parent):

wx.Frame.__init__(self, parent)
        self.SetTitle("Scroll-wheel Map Zoom demo")
        self.Bind(wx.EVT_CLOSE, self.OnClose)

self.figure = Figure((6, 6))
        self.canvas = FigureCanvas(self, -1, self.figure)
        self.axes = self.figure.add_axes([0, 0, 1, 1])
        self.axes.margins(0.0)
        self.axes.set_anchor('C')

self.sizer = wx.BoxSizer(wx.VERTICAL)
        self.sizer.Add(self.canvas, 1, wx.LEFT | wx.TOP | wx.GROW)
        self.SetSizer(self.sizer)
        self.Fit()
        self.Layout()

self.canvas.mpl_connect('key_press_event', self.OnKeyPress)
        self.canvas.mpl_connect('scroll_event', self.OnMouseWheel)
        self.canvas.mpl_connect('resize_event', self.OnResize)

# Read GeoDataFrame from file (positions
        # are floats of lat/long in degrees)
        self.uk_data = gpd.read_file("gadm40_GBR.gpkg")

self.uk_plot = None
        self.zoom_factor = MIN_ZOOM

self.drawMap()
        self.map_xlim, self.map_ylim, self.map_width, self.map_height = self.getPlotDimensions()

def displayDimensions(self):
        print("frame size =", self.GetSize())
        print("canvas size =", self.canvas.GetSize())
        w, h = self.canvas.get_width_height()
        print("canvas width = %s height = %s" % (w, h))
        print("figure width = %f figure height= %f" % (self.figure.get_figwidth(), self.figure.get_figheight()))
        print(self.map_xlim, self.map_ylim, self.map_width, self.map_height)
        bottom_left = self.map_xlim[0], self.map_ylim[0]
        top_right = self.map_xlim[1], self.map_ylim[1]
        for pt in bottom_left, top_right:
            point = self.uk_plot.transData.transform(pt)
            print("%s = %s" % (pt, point))

def drawMap(self):
        self.axes.clear()
        self.axes.axis('off')
        self.figure.set_facecolor(WATER)

# Plot the map
        self.uk_plot = self.uk_data.plot(ax=self.axes, color=LAND)

self.canvas.draw()

# Put markers in the corners in order
        # that the axes fill the figure
        w, h = self.canvas.get_width_height()
        lats = []
        longs = []
        for x, y in [(0, 0), (w, 0), (w, h), (0, h)]:
            # Convert canvas coords to data units (lat/long)
            point = self.uk_plot.transData.inverted().transform((x, y))
            longs.append(point[0])
            lats.append(point[1])
        self.uk_plot.scatter(longs, lats, c=WATER)

self.canvas.draw()

def getPlotDimensions(self):
        """Get the plot's dimensions.

:return: tuple ((x0, x1), (y0, y1), width, height)

Positions are floats lat/long in degrees

"""
        xlim = self.uk_plot.get_xlim()
        ylim = self.uk_plot.get_ylim()
        width = xlim[1] - xlim[0]
        height = ylim[1] - ylim[0]
        return xlim, ylim, width, height

def OnClose(self, _event):
        self.Destroy()

# Hack to prevent WXAgg backend
        # from keeping the script running
        wx.Exit()

def OnKeyPress(self, event):
        """Handle a key press.

:param event: key_press_event.

"""
        if event.key == 'r':
            # Reset zoom
            self.zoom_factor = MIN_ZOOM
            self.uk_plot.set_xlim(self.map_xlim)
            self.uk_plot.set_ylim(self.map_ylim)
            self.canvas.draw()

def OnMouseWheel(self, event):
        """Handle mousewheel events

:param event: scroll_event.

event.button - either 'up' or 'down'
        event.xdata  - x-coord of mouse position in data units.
        event.ydata  - y-coord of mouse position in data units.

"""
        # print(event.button, event.xdata, event.ydata)

if event.xdata is None or event.ydata is None:
            return

change_zoom = False

if event.button == "down" and self.zoom_factor > MIN_ZOOM:
            # Zoom out
            self.zoom_factor //= 2
            change_zoom = True

elif event.button == "up" and self.zoom_factor < MAX_ZOOM:
            # Zoom in
            self.zoom_factor *= 2
            change_zoom = True

if change_zoom:
            c_xlim, c_ylim, c_width, c_height = self.getPlotDimensions()

# Calculate proportions of the mouse coords
            # against the current plot width & height
            x_prop = (event.xdata - c_xlim[0]) / c_width
            y_prop = (event.ydata - c_ylim[0]) / c_height

new_width = self.map_width / self.zoom_factor
            new_height = self.map_height / self.zoom_factor

# Calculate new plot limits, keeping the same
            # relative position for the mouse coords
            x0 = event.xdata - (x_prop * new_width)
            x1 = x0 + new_width
            y0 = event.ydata - (y_prop * new_height)
            y1 = y0 + new_height

# Zoom the plot in or out
            self.uk_plot.set_xlim([x0, x1])
            self.uk_plot.set_ylim([y0, y1])
            self.canvas.draw()

def OnResize(self, event):
        """Handle canvas resize event.

:param event: 'resize_event'.

"""
        self.displayDimensions()

class MyApp(wx.App):
    def OnInit(self):
        frame = MapFrame(None)
        frame.Show()
        return True

if __name__ == "__main__":

app = MyApp()
    app.MainLoop()

I am using Python 3.8.10 + wxPython 4.1.1 gtk3 (phoenix) wxWidgets 3.1.5 + Linux Mint 20.3.
Also geopandas 0.10.2 and matplotlib 3.5.2 (both installed from PyPI using pip).

Here are a couple of screen dumps of the demo script:

Screenshot at 2022-06-08 11-49-06

Hi Richard,

I couldnā€™t test your code because of a problem with the installation of Fiona on Windows. So I just write my ideasā€¦

You can do the layout of the toolbar and hide it if desired.

from matplotlib.backends.backend_wxagg import NavigationToolbar2WxAgg as Toolbar

self.toolbar = Toolbar(self.canvas)
self.toolbar.Show(0)

The toolbar provides functions such as zoom which enables the function as if you pressed the zoom button.
The following code is part of my code for implementing zoom with mouse-wheel.

ZOOM_RATIO = 10**0.2

xlim = property(
        lambda self: np.array(self.axes.get_xlim()),
        lambda self,v: self.axes.set_xlim(v),
        doc = "x-axis range [left, right]")

ylim = property(
        lambda self: np.array(self.axes.get_ylim()),
        lambda self,v: self.axes.set_ylim(v),
        doc = "y-axis range [bottom, top]")

def zoomlim(self, lim, M, c=None):
        if c is None:
            c = (lim[1] + lim[0]) / 2
        y = c - M * (c - lim)
        if abs(y[1] - y[0]) > 0.1 or M > 1:
            return y

def OnScrollZoom(self, evt):
        M = 1/self.ZOOM_RATIO if evt.button == 'up' else self.ZOOM_RATIO
        self.xlim = x = self.zoomlim(self.xlim, M, evt.xdata if evt.inaxes else None)
        self.ylim = y = self.zoomlim(self.ylim, M, evt.ydata if evt.inaxes else None)

if x is not None or y is not None:
            self.toolbar.push_current()
            self.canvas.draw()

def OnZoomBegin(self, evt):
        """Toolbar zoom - While zooming, press x/y to constrain the direction"""
        self.toolbar.set_cursor(3)
        self.toolbar.zoom()

def OnZoomEnd(self, evt):
        self.toolbar.set_cursor(1)
        self.toolbar.zoom()

The limitation of zoom is necessary because If you enlarge axes too much, the processing speed will significantly slow down.

Seems no problem with your code, so Iā€™m not sure why such an effect occurs.

EDIT Oh, I noticed that you are specifying the minimum figure size as 6 x 6 inchesā€¦ :slight_smile:

Hi Kazuya,

Thanks for your reply and information.

I have been spending some time trying to find a better way to prevent matplotlib from hanging when I try to close the test script. The best Iā€™ve found so is to add the following import statement:

from matplotlib import pyplot

and then modify the OnClose() method as follows:

def OnClose(self, _event):
        pyplot.close('all')
        self.Destroy()

This does work both in my demo script and in the real application. It is a lot less drastic than calling wx.Exit()!

Itā€™s a shame you canā€™t get the script to run on windows, so here are a couple of screencasts:

The first is the script running with the invisible points in the corners to force the use of the full canvas:

vokoscreenNG-2022-06-09_18-51-25

The second is without the points in the corners, so the map only shows in the area it originally covered, even when it is zoomed in:

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure, but it seems to be a glitch of geopandas.
How about using artist.set_extent((-w,w,-h,h)) in the drawMap instead of scatter?

I donā€™t know how to get the artist <matplotlib.image.AxesImage> from geopandas data, however, you can get a list of artists using axes.get_children.

While I was investigating your suggestion of axes.get_children() I noticed that the Artist objects it returns had a get_clip_on() method that returned True. I then noticed they also had a set_clip_on() method. When I called set_clip_on(False) for the Artists of type matplotlib.collections.PatchCollection, they were no longer clipped to their original area when zoomed in! This means I donā€™t need to add the scatter plot in order to get the zoomed in map to use all of the canvas.

Here is a revised version of the demo script: Mouse_Wheel_Map_Zoom_3.py (5.6 KB)

This version also demonstrates how to plot multiple geopackage files on the same axis, in this case for the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland. Note that in the latter case we need to specify a non-default layer so as to exclude county boundaries.

Screenshot at 2022-06-12 13-19-19

EDIT: thatā€™ll teach me to look more closely! It appears that you should use the default layer in the v4 geopackage file for the Republic of Ireland (unlike the v3.6 version I was using previously). In the screen dumps above (which used the layer=1 argument), the county boundaries were there; they were just very faint :laughing:

Here is the demo script corrected to use the default layer for the Republic of Ireland map: Mouse_Wheel_Map_Zoom_4.py (5.4 KB)

In your code L.81ā€“84:

# Disable clipping for PatchCollection objects
        for artist in self.axes.get_children():
            if isinstance(artist, PatchCollection):
                artist.set_clip_on(False)

I wonder why PatchCollection works. Isnā€™t the map data image.AxesImage?

If I use just the UK geopackage file, then self.axes.get_children() returns the following objects:

<class 'matplotlib.collections.PatchCollection'>
<class 'matplotlib.spines.Spine'>
<class 'matplotlib.axis.XAxis'>
<class 'matplotlib.axis.YAxis'>
<class 'matplotlib.text.Text'>
<class 'matplotlib.patches.Rectangle'>

If I use both the UK & Republic of Ireland geopackage files, the only difference is that self.axes.get_children() returns an extra PatchCollection object.

Reading the matplotlib documentation:

matplotlib.collections.PatchCollection - A generic collection of patches. It can be initialised from a sequence of Patch objects.

matplotlib.patches.Patch - A patch is a 2D artist with a face color and an edge color.

Also, the PatchCollection objects have a get_paths() method which returns a list of Path objects, which include sequences of lat/long positions.

matplotlib.path.Path - A series of possibly disconnected, possibly closed, line and curve segments.

Therefore, I assumed it was the PatchCollection objects that represent the shape of the map.

Thank you for your reply.
It makes sense to use patches (e.g. Polygon) instead of image to represent geographic boundaries.

BTW, I tested set_clip_on too, and found it interesting to display artists outside axes.
Clipboard01

EDIT The test pattern is called ā€œGumowski- Mira mapā€. Isnā€™t it like the wing of a phoenix? :slightly_smiling_face: