MacOS Dark Mode doesn't work with 4.1.0

Hi folks,

I think that in theory wxpython 4.1.0 is supposed to respect Dark Mode on MacOS (see, for example: https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix/issues/1132). But it doesn’t seem to be doing so for me. I’ve attached screenshots of the wxpython demo in light mode and dark mode and you can see that nothing is changing. Any thoughts on what’s going on?

More info:
Python: 3.7.6
wxpython: 4.1.0

Python installed via conda, wxpython installed via pip (doesn’t seem to be a 4.1.0 on any of the conda channels).

1 Like

I am experiencing a similar thing. When I set my Info.plist in my application bundle to allow dark mode, the windows (sort of) appear in dark mode, but events (like clicking the mouse) don’t work properly.

Anyone else made any discoveries related to this? I still can’t ship my application with dark mode support because of this, sadly. I’d be happy to help in any diagnosis if someone can give me some pointers.

My current situation is that dark mode works correctly on Big Sur but not on Catalina or Mojave.

For the record, I’m still experience the issue in the first post, i.e. that dark mode just doesn’t respond at all. This is happening in both 10.14 (Mojave) and 11.2 (Big Sur) (on two different computers). A colleague who tested the same code on their own computer with the same version of python (3.8.10) wxpython (4.1.1) installed from the same source (conda forge) on 10.14 had no trouble with dark mode, it worked as expected. So I’m very puzzled as to why it works in some circumstances but not others. If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.