Is this a reasonable place to ask about wxFormBuilder?

The project appears to be dormant and undocumented, although a couple people are keeping it alive, but I’m finding it useful even as-is, especially as I’m starting to understand this stuff better. However, one problem I’m having is that I’m using the “subclass” feature to utilize my custom panels and customized ListView class, for example.

To get that to run, I need to add “from MyStuff import MyCustomPanel, MyCustomizedListView” (etc) to the top of the file - right under where it says “PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE!”. :slight_smile:

And of course, I need to do that over, and over, and over again every time I modify something.
Is there a way to tell the program to add my own import statements when it generates the file?

Update (an embarrassing 8 minutes later): Found it!

In case anyone else runs into this, the tooltips that say “for C++ Only” are incorrect. If I put my module name in the “header” field it will add the “from {headermodule} import {subclassname}” to the imports.

Hi,

I suggest you to reply to yourself, not edit your post.
First, it is immediately obvious you have found a solution. I was about to answer you before reading the end of your post.
Second, from the top level of discourse, one can see there is a reply. Someone looking for a similar topic can immediately know if it is worth looking forward or not.
Just my opinion.

What makes you think the project is dormant ?
There are not many releases but the github repository is regularly updated which is a proof that the project is not dead.

Nicolas

Agreed. I’ll do that next time if there is one. :slight_smile:

What makes you think the project is dormant ?
There are not many releases but the github repository is regularly updated which is a proof that the project is not dead.

Dormant doesn’t mean dead - it means “alive but not actively growing”. As long as it keeps getting tweaked to deal with Python versions and wx releases so it keeps working, that’s enough to be useful, but I’m not going to expect to see new functionality added soon.

That’s right.

Sure. On my side, it is perfect for my use.

On my side, it is perfect for my use.

I spent most of my 35 year software development career working with Delphi, so from my perspective, the complexities of building GUI’s with wxPython, even with wxFormBuilder, makes it seem pretty lame in comparison. Delphi was (still is) an ideal tool for certain jobs.

Unfortunately, Delphi is not an ideal tool for what I’m currently working on, and Python’s strengths make it a much better one, despite the extra work it takes to build GUIs with it. And as I work with it more, I’m sure I’ll find that less difficult than I do now. (I started this project with zero Python programming experience on July 1, so it’s all very new to me.)

Bottom line - I do find wxFormBuilder helpful, but it’s nowhere near Delphi’s IDE, and with the recent level of activity on the Git page, I can be confident that there won’t be a new version coming out in a few weeks/months that amazingly adds all the cool stuff I can easily envision but can’t possibly code myself. :slight_smile: But again, it’s definitely useful, even as-is, so rather than complaining that it’s a shovel rather than a bulldozer, I need to be glad I don’t have to pile up all those sizers and spacers and style parameters by hand.