Different behaviour on different platforms

Before opening an issue, being a totally newbie, I’d like to have your opinion on the following issue.

I was asked to do some maintenance on a python software that used a very old version on wxPython.
I did my job and now everything seems OK under debian/linux with py 3.9.2 and wxPy 4.1.1.

I just tried to execute the same software within an equivalent environment under Win10 but it looks like it won’t run. I get the error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\stable-4.8-py3\GTB.py”, line 9, in
frame = XrcFrameSubClass()
File “C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\stable-4.8-py3\MinuitFIT.py”, line 57, in init
xrcMAINFRAME.init(self, parent=None)
File “C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\stable-4.8-py3\MinuitFIT_xrc.py”, line 51, in init
self.mnuSave = self.GetMenuBar().FindItemById(xrc.XRCID(“mnuSave”)).GetSubMenu()
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘GetSubMenu’

Before going through the analysis of the specific errors, I wonder whether it is normal to get this error only under win10 and not in linux.

Thanks for your patience.

augh

in Python a method returns None if nothing else is returned; so reading the trace from back to front ‘FindItem…’ returned None which means it did not succeed, i.e. no wx.MenuItem was found… and so on…

Well, yes, I’m a new to wxPython, not that much to Python (though I’m far from being an expert :blush:).

My question was explicitly about the behaviour on different platform: remember that exactly the same code in (hopefully) the same environment does not raises any error.

The fact that specific method returns “None” in win10 and not in debian/linux, puzzles me. I cannot figure out any “reasonable” reason for this (but, of course, there must be some).

augh

Are you sure you have the same version of wxPython installed on different operating systems?

I know this is not a trivial question but I verified carefully: not only pip list says
wxPython 4.1.1
on both platforms but I also put the line
print(wx.__version__)
in the program and reports the same.

I did this to exclude that other packages in the system provide different versions of wxPython, but it seems that this is not the case.

a.