The context: I’d like to create an inexpensive app for a niche market that is not computer savvy. Installation and usage should feel like a regular desktop app, preferably with no additional downloads required. Must support MacOS (my dev platform) and Windows. Linux would be nice in theory but not sure there will be any demand in this niche.
Some questions for MacOS:
- do I include a browser component in the app? If so, how does the user get security updates?
- … or: if my app just references the OS, what are the chances my app breaks with an OS update?
- Apple’s WebView looks deprecated (support thru 10.14 Mohave) in favor of WKWebView … is that an issue?
And for Windows:
- can I bundle MS Edge WebView2 in the app? If so, can I specific ‘evergreen’ vs. ‘fixed’; I might want to offer a version with each. Webview2 - Microsoft Edge Developer Or: would users have to download from that page?
And in general:
- Any other pros/cons of wxPython vs. Electron?