Shareware using wxPython

Is there a way to compile a Windows program, written in wxpython, so that it can be distributed with an automatic installer and
install in binary form?

http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/CreatingStandaloneExecutables

See 2, 2.1 and 4.

I need this to write a shareware program. Don't want the source to be seen by users and don't want to request them to separately
install Python and wxPython.

You should be aware that it isn't too hard to get something resembling your source back again.
The source is turned into bytecodes by the tools that make the binaries. From the bytecodes,
someone can get something back somewhat resembling your original source. It will
be missing all your comments etc and will have lost some formatting.

Note that this is true for other modern languages as well, such as Java and C#.

You can also consider other licensing schemes, for example making the source code available
but not allowing anyone to make derivative products or to change it (the Microsoft model).
With this you may find others who want to help you, or find bugs and tell you exactly
where they are.

Roger

Hello,

I would like to add one more question.

When a single file executable created by PyInstaller, which contains a code using wxPython modules in the form of .pyc files, is distributed, is it a violation of wxPython license or not. In other words, are .pyc files recognized as binary form, thus the exception notice can be used?

Thanks, Martin

Yes, you are able to distribute your code/applications using wxPython in whatever way you desire, with or without source, and with or without giving attribution, (although not giving attribution is generally frowned upon.) As far as I’m concerned the only thing that is a solid and definite do-not-do is to distribute a library that is equivalent to or a superset of wxWidgets or wxPython and claim that it is your own work.

Thank you for response.

So, more specifically, if I understand well.
My application is one standalone executable includes some .pyc files from wxPython library together with .pyc files, which were created by me (and application contains information that wxPython is used). So, it is OK to distribute this executable with my terms (proprietary).

Thanks, Martin

Yes, that is correct. At least that is the stance that I’ve taken over the years and, even if it’s not totally bulletproof, (and is anything totally bulletproof when it’s a lawyer with a finger on the trigger?) it’s at least close enough to the spirit of the license for me.