Locale problems in wx python

I’m setting up a gui in wxpython, but I’ve encountered a pop-up warning window that I can’t suppress on one of my computers. The example code is trivial, and the result on one computer is a pop-up window that says "Cannot set locale to language “English (U.S.)”. I have not been able to find any way to suppress that error and stop it from popping up. I’ve tried obvious things like manually setting wx.Locale( “C”), but that asserts on me. What can I do in my code to suppress that pop-up window from appearing?

#!/usr/bin/env python3
##
## example warning error for https://discuss.wxpython.org/
##

import wx

app = wx.App(False)
app.MainLoop()
>>> sys.version
'3.8.2 (default, Apr 27 2020, 15:53:34) \n[GCC 9.3.0]'
>>> wx.version()
'4.1.0 gtk3 (phoenix) wxWidgets 3.1.4'
>>> ```

Have you tried the suggestions in this thread?

It didn’t look relevant from the title, so while I had seen it from searches I’d never read through it.

At this point I’m fairly certain that wx is just plain broken. The enumeration of values is simply lacking LANGUAGE_C, and it insists on defaulting to en_US. One of those two is default and installed everywhere, the other isn’t.

Now I think it is the underlying GTK that is broken. Regardless, this is too hard of a problem to try and solve, so I’m moving on to other more tractable problems!