Is a CornerWidget for ScrollBars easily made possible?

QT has this nice little customizable widget built in scrollbars.(usually I place a small 16px icon button there)

Strangely enough, I even wanted one of these before QT went and did it actually.
I guess great minds think alike.

How easy would it be to hook into the existing widgets scrollbars and make something like this possible with regular widgets with scrollbars?

Is wxWidgets ever planning on implementing something like this for the base library widgets?

Attached Pic: CornerWidget.

cornerwidget.png

Metallicow wrote:

QT has this nice little customizable widget built in scrollbars.(usually
I place a small 16px icon button there)

Strangely enough, I even wanted one of these before QT went and did it
actually.
I guess great minds think alike.

How easy would it be to hook into the existing widgets scrollbars and
make something like this possible with regular widgets with scrollbars?

Is wxWidgets ever planning on implementing something like this for the
base library widgets?

It might be possible with some widgets, but probably not all. The issue is that for native widgets that have scrollbars wx has no way to control or even get access to those scrollbars. Also that area would be considered outside of the window's client area, and there is much in wx that assumes that everything will be inside the client area.

There are no plans that I know of to expose functionality like this.

···

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman
http://wxPython.org

Well… I finally got fed up and started my attempt to hack one of these up. In the fight to be totally custom it seems I have bitten off two different things to tackle at the same time lol.

Obviously the fist would be creating a corner widget. wx.GridBagSizer(1, 1). Simple enough. corner widget is in corner and horizontal and vertical scroll bars are castle side of corner. The actual widget that normally has scrollbars would be obviously in the last open spot.

2nd Issue: The scrollbars themselves… It seems there is not a lot of access to this stuff depending on what widget it is, but I managed to use other infos from the widget to help determine how the scrollbars would work/should be programmed.

2 1/2 Issue… Since I have come all this way and pained my brain to do this, Obviously I need to theme the scrollbars too. This is an artists problem in itself to do, but Andrea’s DrawVistaRectangle method helped out starting some MSW themed function. I’m using Win7 if you look at the attached pic, so obviously trying to recreate default look would be a first attempt.

I guess the next thing after hacking the classes all to oblivion would be to create a CustomStatusBar widget in pure python. Has anyone written one? I recall Andrea has some tutorials on checkbox and whatnot, but I’d lay a guess a scrollbar is a bit more work…

Anywho. small update on my progress on this issue. Vertical scrollbar for stc is working as expected atm. next to tackle would be the horizontal, which has me scratching my head atm… See attached pic

CustomScrollBarsDemo.png

···

On Friday, March 14, 2014 at 11:47:56 PM UTC-5, Robin Dunn wrote:

It might be possible with some widgets, but probably not all. The issue
is that for native widgets that have scrollbars wx has no way to control
or even get access to those scrollbars. Also that area would be
considered outside of the window’s client area, and there is much in wx
that assumes that everything will be inside the client area.

There are no plans that I know of to expose functionality like this.

Robin Dunn

Software Craftsman

http://wxPython.org