Duplicate title bar

The attachment shows the problem. It’s everywhere. I’m running python 3.7.3 and wxpython 4.04.

It did the same under python 3.7.0. Any suggestions on how to make it go away. Also, I’m a Mac,

Sierra 10.12.6. Looking forward to a solution, Thanks…Mel

duplicate.png

Mel,

Do you see this when running the wxDemo or just with your own code? If it shows up in the demo then someone with a suitable system could possibly debug it but if it is only in your code they would
need a minimal sample that showed the same problem. (Sorry no access to a Mac here).

Steve Barnes

On Behalf Of Mel Tearle

···

The attachment shows the problem. It’s everywhere. I’m running python 3.7.3 and wxpython 4.04.

It did the same under python 3.7.0. Any suggestions on how to make it go away. Also, I’m a Mac,

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “wxPython-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
wxpython-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi,

It’s in the 4.04 demo. It’s in everything I’ve tried to run in wxpython.

Mel

duplicate-2.png

···

On Sunday, March 31, 2019 at 11:56:55 AM UTC-7, Gadget Steve wrote:

Mel,

Do you see this when running the wxDemo or just with your own code? If it shows up in the demo then someone with a suitable system could possibly debug it but if it is only in your code they would
need a minimal sample that showed the same problem. (Sorry no access to a Mac here).

Steve Barnes

From: wxpytho...@googlegroups.com wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
On Behalf Of Mel Tearle
Sent: 31 March 2019 18:13
To: wxPython-users wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [wxPython-users] Duplicate title bar

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “wxPython-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
wxpytho...@googlegroups.com.

Mel,

Good news as far as someone being able to debug but as I don’t have a Mac all I can do is say that it is not an issue on Win10.

image001.png

Steve

On Behalf Of Mel Tearle

···

Hi,

Mel

Mel,

Do you see this when running the wxDemo or just with your own code? If it shows up in the demo then someone with a suitable system could possibly debug it but if it is only in your code they would need a minimal sample that showed the same problem. (Sorry no
access to a Mac here).

Steve Barnes

wxpytho...@googlegroups.com wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
On Behalf Of Mel Tearle

wxpytho...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout

wxpython-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Hi,

Mel

FWIW, I do not see that with OSX 10.14.3 (Mojave), Python 3.7, and wxPython 4.0.4, using Python 3.7 either from Python.org or from Anaconda.com. I do not see it in the demo or in other apps. Is it necessary for you to run a two-year old version of OSX?

It seems like you must have meant that you see this with Frame.py from the demo, but it might be helpful to verify that you see this behavior with https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxPython/blob/master/demo/Frame.py

···

On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 5:58 PM Mel Tearle mel.tearle@gmail.com wrote:

Mel,

Do you see this when running the wxDemo or just with your own code? If it shows up in the demo then someone with a suitable system could possibly debug it but if it is only in your code they would need a minimal sample that showed the same problem. (Sorry no access to a Mac here).

Steve Barnes

From: wxpytho...@googlegroups.com wxpytho...@googlegroups.com On Behalf Of Mel Tearle

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wxpython-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

–Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> 630-252-0431

I don’t see it in 10.12 either.

Mel, does your Mac have some non-standard or at least non-typical settings that might be causing this? Like perhaps some assistive services, or maybe the app is actually running on another machine as is shown in a virtual desktop or similar on your machine?

There has been a report of something similar on a specific Linux distro (but not on any others) https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix/issues/698 but I doubt that it could be related since something like this would seem to be happening at a much lower level than the wxWidgets code and then you’re at the platform specific layers.

···

On Monday, April 1, 2019 at 4:35:47 AM UTC-7, Matt Newville wrote:

FWIW, I do not see that with OSX 10.14.3 (Mojave), Python 3.7, and wxPython 4.0.4, using Python 3.7 either from Python.org or from Anaconda.com. I do not see it in the demo or in other apps. Is it necessary for you to run a two-year old version of OSX?

Robin

Hi,

I upgraded to Mojave and it didn’t change anything - however, it may be my display.

I’ve a non-glare Mac mid-2012 which is 1680 by 1050 pixels thru a Intel HD 4000 graphics chip.

I didn’t see anything in assistive services and I’m pretty sure this is the only instance running.

Mel

···

On Monday, April 1, 2019 at 9:54:01 AM UTC-7, Robin Dunn wrote:

Mel, does your Mac have some non-standard or at least non-typical settings that might be causing this? Like perhaps some assistive services, or maybe the app is actually running on another machine as is shown in a virtual desktop or similar on your machine?

There has been a report of something similar on a specific Linux distro (but not on any others) https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix/issues/698 but I doubt that it could be related since something like this would seem to be happening at a much lower level than the wxWidgets code and then you’re at the platform specific layers.

Robin

I think this is the new tab bar in 10.13 and 10.14. I don’t see it 10.11, and I don’t have a 10.12 machine handy.

I can replicate this – there is a Show Tab Bar and Show All Tabs added to the View menu in my app, and if I do Show Tab Bar it is shows the extra title-bar-looking item.
extra_tab.png

I think (but haven’t implemented the method yet) as a workaround to use PyObjC with the main window (which in my case is the only window I would worry about). The code would be the PyObjC version of something like is posted here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39399553/how-do-i-disable-the-show-tab-bar-menu-option-in-sierra-apps :

In particular this code:

if([window respondsToSelector:@selector(setTabbingMode:)]) {
    // this particular window doesn't support tabbing in Sierra.
    [window setTabbingMode:NSWindowTabbingModeDisallowed];
}

``

to tell the window that it doesn’t support the new native tab bar.

I think the top level NSWindow handle is accessible from wxPython, just figuring out the syntax for the method call then is the trick.

This is a Mac only thing. My app doesn’t seem to show it by default, but I don’t have my Finder prefs set to show it.

The PyObjC bridge should be able access the ObjC runtime and do this. At least I think so. ?

(I just haven’t gotten around to doing this yet!!)

I have not looked to see if wxWidgets has a flag for this yet or not.

So this is nothing to do with whatever particular video card/etc. you have on a Mac - I think whether you see it by default depends upon your Finder preferences and those only apply to 10.13 and 10.14. The stackoverflow post also shows how to check the AppKit versioning to see if the OS has this capability (and I can do that in PyObjC).

Hubert Hickman

···

On Monday, April 1, 2019 at 5:02:32 PM UTC-5, Mel Tearle wrote:

Hi,

I upgraded to Mojave and it didn’t change anything - however, it may be my display.

I’ve a non-glare Mac mid-2012 which is 1680 by 1050 pixels thru a Intel HD 4000 graphics chip.

I didn’t see anything in assistive services and I’m pretty sure this is the only instance running.

Mel

Robin

FWIW, I am running 10.12.6 and with Anaconda pythonw 3.7.0 (which does not seem to get updated with python, which is at 3.7.2) and wx 4.0.4 and do not see this.

Hi Hubert,

extra_tab.png

···

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 2:05 PM Hubert Hickman hubert.hickman@gmail.com wrote:

I think this is the new tab bar in 10.13 and 10.14. I don’t see it 10.11, and I don’t have a 10.12 machine handy.

I can replicate this – there is a Show Tab Bar and Show All Tabs added to the View menu in my app, and if I do Show Tab Bar it is shows the extra title-bar-looking item.
extra_tab.png

I think (but haven’t implemented the method yet) as a workaround to use PyObjC with the main window (which in my case is the only window I would worry about). The code would be the PyObjC version of something like is posted here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39399553/how-do-i-disable-the-show-tab-bar-menu-option-in-sierra-apps :

In particular this code:

}

``

I think the top level NSWindow handle is accessible from wxPython, just figuring out the syntax for the method call then is the trick.

This is a Mac only thing. My app doesn’t seem to show it by default, but I don’t have my Finder prefs set to show it.

The PyObjC bridge should be able access the ObjC runtime and do this. At least I think so. ?

So this is nothing to do with whatever particular video card/etc. you have on a Mac - I think whether you see it by default depends upon your Finder preferences and those only apply to 10.13 and 10.14. The stackoverflow post also shows how to check the AppKit versioning to see if the OS has this capability (and I can do that in PyObjC).

Hubert Hickman

Hi,

Mel

Robin

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wxpython-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Ah, thanks! And yes, I can verify that I also see that when setting System Preferences -> Dock -> “Prefer tabs when opening documents”. More specifically, this will add a tab for each window in the App. I thought that was only used when an App is in full-screen mode.

Maybe that explains what Mel was seeing.

–Matt

Hi,

To Matt and Hubert. Thanks for your suggestions. I’ve looked in every place I could and couldn’t find any switch

other than in Apple;s Terminal App that let’s you hide the tab bar. I’ll suffer along with my little problem till I find a solution or buy

another computer, making sure I don’t have that problem with it.

Mel

···

On Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 7:22:17 PM UTC-7, Matt Newville wrote:

Hi Hubert,

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 2:05 PM Hubert Hickman hubert...@gmail.com wrote:

extra_tab.png

In particular this code:

}

``

Hubert Hickman

Hi,

Mel

Robin

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com.

Ah, thanks! And yes, I can verify that I also see that when setting System Preferences -> Dock -> “Prefer tabs when opening documents”. More specifically, this will add a tab for each window in the App. I thought that was only used when an App is in full-screen mode.

–Matt

If you open System Preferences, then go to Dock, there is a spot there for it called Prefer tabs when opening documents. Mine is set to Full Screen Only, and I don’t see the tab bar unless I explicitly turn it on.

doc_prefs.png

Hubert Hickman

···

On Wednesday, April 3, 2019 at 5:09:11 PM UTC-5, Mel Tearle wrote:

Hi,

To Matt and Hubert. Thanks for your suggestions. I’ve looked in every place I could and couldn’t find any switch

other than in Apple;s Terminal App that let’s you hide the tab bar. I’ll suffer along with my little problem till I find a solution or buy

Mel

Hi Hubert,

extra_tab.png

In particular this code:

}

``

Hubert Hickman

Hi,

Mel

Robin

–Matt

Hi, Thanks again, I tried it and no difference. I’m wondering if there’s a way to set the tab bar height to zero using some existing wxpython method. Some form of a frame modifier.

Mel

···

On Wednesday, April 3, 2019 at 6:26:52 PM UTC-7, Hubert Hickman wrote:

If you open System Preferences, then go to Dock, there is a spot there for it called Prefer tabs when opening documents. Mine is set to Full Screen Only, and I don’t see the tab bar unless I explicitly turn it on.

doc_prefs.png

Hubert Hickman

On Wednesday, April 3, 2019 at 5:09:11 PM UTC-5, Mel Tearle wrote:

Hi,

Mel

Hi Hubert,

extra_tab.png

In particular this code:

}

``

Hubert Hickman

Hi,

Mel

Robin

–Matt

No. It's not up to you -- or to any application -- to make that change. It's a USER preference. It's up to the user to enable or disable this feature. If he has this feature enabled, then that duplicate title bar is exactly what he WANTS to see. Leave it alone.

···

On Apr 3, 2019, at 9:08 PM, Mel Tearle <mel.tearle@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, Thanks, it doesn't help. I'm just wondering if there's one line of code that could male it go away - such as set tab bar width to 0.

Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

I found a solution. The one place I hadn’t looked was the Python Launcher. I opened preferences and eventually clicked on ‘Reset to factory settings’ which fixed the problem both in the demo and with any code I ran from the command line. No more duplicate bar. Just wanted to pass that on.

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 4.05.01 PM.png

···

On Thursday, April 4, 2019 at 12:12:28 AM UTC-7, Tim Roberts wrote:

On Apr 3, 2019, at 9:08 PM, Mel Tearle mel....@gmail.com wrote:

Hi, Thanks, it doesn’t help. I’m just wondering if there’s one line of code that could male it go away - such as set tab bar width to 0.

No. It’s not up to you – or to any application – to make that change. It’s a USER preference. It’s up to the user to enable or disable this feature. If he has this feature enabled, then that duplicate title bar is exactly what he WANTS to see. Leave it alone.

Tim Roberts, ti...@probo.com

Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

I’ve got the same issue and I don’t buy this. It really isn’t a preference I (as a user) wanted and no other application is giving me this duplicate menubar or an extra entry in the View menu to Show/Hide it. It’s an issue in wx. For me the Python Launcher solution didn’t work either.