Combobox / placeholder, helper ,or default value among a list

Hi,

i have a list carList = [“ferrari”,“porsche”,“tesla”,“dolorean”]

and a combobox comboCar = wx.ComboBox(self.panel1, pos=(400, 100), choices=carList, style=wx.CB_READONLY)

1-i have a blank in the combobox before selecting, where i would like to have written inside “select car” (instead of adding a statictext uppon it) ie a placeholder

2-if i want a defaut choice as dolorean ?.

3-if i just want a helper without placeholder nor default choice ?

···

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “wxPython-users” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wxpython-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wxpython-users/b94aa2ba-f632-4e39-8c02-48690a8e4c2a%40googlegroups.com.

chris tophe wrote:

i have a list carList = ["ferrari","porsche","tesla","dolorean"]
and a combobox comboCar = wx.ComboBox(self.panel1, pos=(400, 100), choices=carList, style=wx.CB_READONLY)

1-i have a blank in the combobox before selecting, where i would like to have written inside "select car" (instead of adding a statictext uppon it) ie a placeholder

Make your list ["--Select car--", "Ferrari", "Porsche", "Tesla", "Delorean"]. You can check in the click handler that they don't choose "--Select car--".

You can't have a "select car" option along with a default choice. It doesn't make sense. What would the user experience be here?

This question doesn't make sense to me, either. Perhaps you should sketch something in a drawing app to show us what you are picturing.

···

--
Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "wxPython-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wxpython-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wxpython-users/04898994-000e-acea-1da1-dbab3bef49b7%40probo.com.

thx !

Le mar. 30 juil. 2019 à 18:36, Tim Roberts timr@probo.com a écrit :

···

chris tophe wrote:

i have a list carList = [“ferrari”,“porsche”,“tesla”,“dolorean”]

and a combobox comboCar = wx.ComboBox(self.panel1, pos=(400, 100),

choices=carList, style=wx.CB_READONLY)

1-i have a blank in the combobox before selecting, where i would like

to have written inside “select car” (instead of adding a statictext

uppon it) ie a placeholder

Make your list ["–Select car–", “Ferrari”, “Porsche”, “Tesla”,

“Delorean”]. You can check in the click handler that they don’t choose

“–Select car–”.

You can’t have a “select car” option along with a default choice. It

doesn’t make sense. What would the user experience be here?

This question doesn’t make sense to me, either. Perhaps you should

sketch something in a drawing app to show us what you are picturing.

Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com

Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “wxPython-users” group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wxpython-users/04898994-000e-acea-1da1-dbab3bef49b7%40probo.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/wxpython-users/CAO29BtoP3cEJ%3D36ouJ%2BZX86%3Dp3cYJUjEW2Gv51TicF0iGSPpkQ%40mail.gmail.com.